History of Henderson County

In December 1778, through the influence of Colonel Richard Henderson and Nathaniel Hart, the Virginia House of Delegates granted to the Richard Henderson (Transylvania) Company, 200,000 acres of land in Kentucky situated between the Ohio and Green Rivers. In 1783, the North Carolina legislature granted the same to the company. The result being that Henderson County was formed out of part Christian County and was organized on June 4, 1799. Named in honor of Colonel Richard Henderson, one of the original founders of Kentucky. The county initially encompassed all of the territory from which the present Hopkins County was formed in 1806. Union County was formed in 1811, and Webster County was formed in 1860. The county seat of Henderson was incorporated in 1810.